On Wednesday we were treated to an assembly from Parent Zone called ‘Be Internet Legends’.
What is a Google Be Internet Legends assembly?
The Google Be Internet Legends assembly taught the Key Stage 2 pupils the skills they need to be safe and confident explorers of the online world.
What areas of learning does the Google Be Internet Legends assembly cover?
The assembly focused on the five core pillars of the Be Internet Legends educational programme, incorporating characters from an imaginary world called Interland. The pillars they concentrated on were:
- Be Internet Sharp: Centred around the importance of thinking before sharing, evaluating whether a piece of information is private or not, and bearing in mind who will be able to see what is shared.
- Be Internet Alert: Teaching pupils how to spot phishing scams and how to report them, be able to tell what is real and what is fake, and to think critically about information found online.
- Be Internet Secure: Focused on keeping personal information safe by creating unique passwords, combining characters, numbers and symbols.
- Be Internet Kind: Encourages pupils to spread positivity online, speak up against and report bullying, and teaches them how to identify inappropriate behaviour.
- Be Internet Brave: About standing up when witnessing something inappropriate online, and to speak to a trusted adult about any concerns.
The assembly was very interactive and by the end of the session the children demonstrated a good understanding of not only how to stay safe online BUT also WHY it is important to stay safe when using the internet.
For any additional information or help regarding how to keep your children safe on certain sites, Parent Zone have produced some helpful tips for a number of websites.